The Edith and Joy London Foundation is located on the south coast of New South Wales adjacent to the village of Kioloa. It is approximately halfway between the towns of Bateman's Bay and Ulladulla. Miss Joy London bequeathed the 349 hectare property to ANU on March 1st 1975.
The campus is rich in historic, natural and Indigenous heritage values, home to an array of landforms, vegetation types, wildlife, archaeological and historical features. Set in a natural basin between the Murramarang Range to the west and undeveloped beachfront to the east, it contains Eucalypt forest and rainforest, Casuarina and coastal heath. The entire catchment for Butlers Creek, including tidal lagoon and salt marsh, lies within the boundaries of the campus.
Over 140 species of birds have been recorded here, including Powerful, Masked and Sooty Owls; other fauna include Greater and Feathertail Gliders, Pygmy Possums and Golden Bell Frogs. Foundation also contains a range of archaeological sites, including protected Aboriginal shell middens. European settlement in the area dates back to 1830, and several remnant buildings remain at the site.
The Foundation has become the premier research field station on the South Coast. With a mild climate and unspoiled beach frontage, the Foundation provides an ideal break from normal campus and work environments.